GBlist: RE: Greywater (we have one)

Folks,
     Perhaps this thread has ended and this post is late, but...

     I manage a passive solar office building in NH with a greywater system
that has operated for 16 years.  The greywater from an attached apartment and
staff shower is piped to a funnel shaped tank (mfr. by Clivus Multrum).  As
it enters the tank it first passes through pantyhose filters then a two foot
layer of crushed rock.  A float in the tank center and a Dayton pump pumps
the water from the tank to a planted bed in a greenhouse.  The greywater
amount was calculated and the beds sized accordingly.  Of course, there are
times when the amount of incoming greywater is much higher or lower than
normal - without any apparent effect on the plants growing; all are healthy.
 Perforated PVC pipe is 1" under soil surface and therefore evaporation is
lessened.  The beds have perhaps 6" of rich soil, then gravel, then rocks -
total depth of concrete beds is about 4 ft. deep.  A bypass valve allows us
to send the greywater to our septic tank when we clean out the system - about
twice a year.  So in our case; the warm water helps maintain warmer
temperature in the greenhouse during winter.
     I'm happy to elaborate if anyone is interested.

Paul Leveille
Society for the Protection of NH Forests
54 Portsmouth St
Concord, NH   03301  (USA)
603-224-9945  x 309  (voice mail)
603-228-0423             (fax)