GBlist: Low density concrete

I am in the process of doing the preliminary design for a structure to be
built in the next couple of years on newly aquired property in northern
Wisconsin.

I was considering using strawbales in a manner similar to that used by
buckminster Fuller in the 20's in New York wherein he used excelsier
packing material. To date I have found little on the subject.

Most of the strawbale work I've seen uses them as external above grade
walls.  I wish to use the material below grade.  I was considering using a
concrete made with styrene beads (5-20% by volume) which is then treated
with styrene monomer to disolve/disperse the styrene. This concrete is
supposed to be watertight & chemiclally very inert.  Is anyone familiar
with plastisized concrete projects which have been constructed?  Anyone
know of any below-grade strawbale use?

We are also looking for an architect who is familiar with underground
designs & solar HVAC, the site is about an hour East of Minneapolis next to
I94, so an architect in Mpls-St.Paul area or Eau Claire would be perfect.

My background is in computer consulting of manufacturing systems, but I've
been interestred & reading widley in the field of underground housing &
solar systems for the past 24 years, now I have a chance to build one.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles Barnard
Wizard of Odd