GBlist: Plastic Lumber

On a large project I'm involved with, 100% plastic lumber will be used in
place of Trex or other composite materials.  The decision was based on the
recyclable nature of these products, and because there appears to be more
uniformity in the products.  Granted, they may be uniformly less structurally
sound, we decided to design around this characteristic.  We gained the
advantage of having more manufacturers to include in an open bid situation.

One concern though, is that the manufacturers have given recommendations on
span ratios, and I don't know whether or not to trust them.  Does anyone have
information on the strength of 100% recycled products _over time_?  What
is really known about UV degradation other than annecdotal evidence?

Thanks for your comments,

Daniel Arons
Architect
Payette Associates, Inc