Re: GBlist: high performance on-site window test

Hi, Jorg--

You wrote:

>For those interested in the above topic, please see specific comments below.
>The main question for today would be: for heating climates, would anyone
>think that a condensation gutter is useful for lower performance windows?
(snip)

Steve Loken and I visited new tract homes in Reno, Nevada in which
metal-frame double glazed windows with condensation gutters had been
installed. The gutters had weep holes to allow water to drain to the
outside. The holes also allowed wind-blown dust to enter the gutter, where
it mixed with condensed water and turned to mud on the new sills.

Seems to me that for $149,000, one should reasonably expect mud-free window
sills.

Mike

O'Brien & Associates
Environmental Building Consultants
Portland General Electric Earth Smart program
obrien@hevanet.com