GBlist: mainstream greenbuilding

Looking into timber framing. Have these books, wondering if there are
new editions or other references:

1. Building the timber frame house, by Tedd Benson, 1980.
2. Timer frame construction, by Jack Sobon and Roger Schroeder, 1984.
3. Build a classic timber-framed house, by Jack Sobon, 1994.

We're thinking about stress skin panels for enclosing the
structure. Has anyone worked with the bigger ones (16'x4')? Did you
need a crane? We'd probably want a crane on site for the raising
(safer, quicker) and could easily keep it around for placing the
panels.

Big question involves dimensions and placement of posts: We will
design according to Maharishi Sthapatya Ved (MSV) principles. MSV
requires tolerances in the neighborhood of 1/100 foot or 1/8 inch. Can
we get that close with timber framing?

Placement of the posts may be an issue because of marma points,
similar to energy points or chakras in the human body. Has anyone
designed and built a MSV home with timber framing? Do you know of any
Vedic literature or historical texts that talk about timber framing?
It would seem that this framing technique would have been around in
all civilizations for thousands of years: Trees are everywhere,
they're easier to work with than stone, etc.

Regarding aesthetics and resale value: We want the frame to be
visible, not hidden behind a layer of drywall or stucco. How can we do
this and make it look absolutely top quality? Most of the timber frame
houses I've seen have a pleasant but somewhat rustic appearance. How
do we make it look upscale without hiring an artist to chisel
thousands of dollars of design into the exposed surfaces? Can we rely
on standard woodfinishing techniques and materials?  And then there's
the issue of checking (cracks): Which woods resist checking better
than others?

A practical question from my wife: How does she hang pictures on a
stress skin panel? How are the panels contructed?

Last question: Do you have a list of enclosing materials/components
that we can consider in addition to the stress skin panels?

Tom Nelson Scott                  Phone/Fax: 1-414-966-2902
The Veda Home Company             Business email: tom.scott@veda-home.com
W330 N8357 West Shore Drive       Academic email: veda@csd.uwm.edu
Hartland WI 53029-9732            Academic web: http://www.uwm.edu/~veda
                     "Do less, accomplish more."