GBlist: Domestic Rainwater Filtration

I'm one of three MSc Management students at Bath University (UK) currently
researching a project on domestic rainwater filtration. We initially set
out looking out at the possibilities of the "Etaperenser", a Danish system
based upon a new foam filtration method which collects and stores
considerable amounts of rainwater for household use. Although the water
collected is not drinking quality it is odourless and clear, suitable for
every other domestic purpose. In Denmark the "Etaperenser" can typically
collect around 60% of a household's water needs, substituting
simply filtered rainwater for expensively processed tapwater.

What has become clear is that the "Etaperenser" is only one of a number of
inexpensive and capable rainwater filtration systems. Despite ongoing
water shortages in the UK there has been little media attention or focus
on water recycling or filtration systems (even compared to other
Green building issues). More than likely this is a symptom of the bizzare
UK system of generally not charging for actual water usage - in the UK
water bills tend to be based on a house's rateable value. We can find only
occasional examples of local government aid (housing grants etc.) for
similar water filtration systems in the UK

We'd be hugely interested in hearing how global attitudes to water
conservation differ. In particular we'd love to talk to anyone who has had
practical experience of fitting, using or marketing some kind of rainwater
filtration device. We'd be grateful for any viewpoints or words that you
could contribute.

With many thanks,

Glyn Thomas