Re: GBlist: (Some) affordable house design strategies

Chris,

><< * go for the 'Fibertherm' windows. >>
>
>Curious that this item ended up in your post on housing affordability.  Can
>you share specifics? (i.e. U-factor, SHGC, Air leakage, costs, use of
>recycled materials or sustainable forest woods, etc.)

Talk to Stephen Twaites
Thermotech
Ontario  Canada
613-225-1101

or to

Tom Austin at
Accurate Dorwin
Winnepeg Canada
204-667-4640

or to

Fibertec
John Grilli (Sales Manager)
Concorde, Ontario  Canada
905-660-7102

THese are the best windows that I know of at the moment for this type of
building. Apart from anything else, they provide the opportunity for
upgrading the glazing panels from double to triple pane assemblies without
having to pull or substitute the sash or frame. That means that a homeowner
can commit to a really good window unit ,, and buy the superglass later ..
when they see or feel the need
The 'pultruded' fiberglass reinforce resin sash and frame (the Fibertherm
technology) is very strong and has the same coef. themal expansion (low) as
glass, therfore the seals are not stressed in regions with high temp
variations.  The lowness of the CTE also means that the sashes are less
inclined (than vinyl for example) to bow out of the frame on really cold
periods thereby breaking the seals/ promoting air leakage.  (I understand
that standard air tightness test for windows are perform *without* a temp
difference across the window - inside to outside .... am I correct in this
understanding? any comments from the gallery?)

Bruce Coldham