GBlist: Re: Insulation/ attic- crawlspace

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997 19:47:51 -0700 (PDT) "Mike O'Brien" writes:
>Hello, Beth--
>
>For once I'm going to beat Bruce Sullivan to the punch and tell you
>that
>the Sahara is made by DEC International, Inc. Therma-Stor Products
>Group in
>Madison Wisconsin. Their phone number is 1-800-533-7533. While we have
>not
>seen a Sahara installed here in Portland, our experience with other
>DEC
>products and their product engineers has been excellent.
>
>John Bower will probably have some insights into the smell you
>described,
>but I wondered if you had mentioned whether you have air conditioning?
>If
>so, what happens to the water that condenses on the air conditioning
>coil?
>Is it possible there is a back-up in the drip pan or drain hose that
>would
>allow algae or mold to grow, or to wet the drywall or insulation?
>
>Best, Mike

Hi Mike-  Sorry it took a while to respond.  Thanks for answering my
post, and  the info on the Saraha.  .  We have central air- that's the
thorn in my side, because that's the air I have to breathe  that is
pumped into the house, and it is making me ill.  To answer your question
about  what happens to the water that condenses on the coils-  it goes
into a drip pan into a drain pipe.  We checked the water flowing from
there to the outside and it is clear.

There is no way for me to know what is causing this "odor", yet., but we
are having  the ducts checked for leaks and having "blower door testing"
done this week.  Hopefully this will give us some insight as to what is
going on, so we can make some progress on rectifying the situation.

One thing that was mentioned to me worth noting is that I always have the
fan constantly running when the air conditioning is on, because of the
"Pure Air " system that was installed, and the fact that i am trying to
purify the air  constantly when I am in the house.  However, with the fan
going- when the compressor is not running the way I understand this  is
that the coils would be warming up and causing more condensation.
Instead of it going into the drip pan and out,   the fan would be blowing
the moisture back into the system.  For me this is a "Catch  22, because
I need that "Pure Air system running to help with my situation.  So,
That's where it is at right now.  Waiting for testing,  and then seeing
where that leads us.   Thanks Again, Beth