[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Skylights: The Flourescent Conspiracy

Robert Anderson <beartoe@ddg.com> wrote:

>...south-facing glass in clerestories is problematic, don't you think?

No... Or maybe yes, but the problems seem solvable.

>Yes, it does induce solar gain when needed, but strongly beamed
>light, hot spots and shadows, etc.

Seems like some diffuse reflection would help here.

>Give me north-facing clerestory lights any day, well-insulated in the north.

Less light that way, and not much solar heat gain. Net losers. Facing south,
perhaps with a reflective parabolic sunscoop that acts as a summertime
overhang, skylights could be net gainers in wintertime. (Although Norman
Saunders' house had some North-facing solar collectors, as an experiment...)

>Nice even sky illumation, predictable, diffuse....

Nature is somewhat unpredictable. Perhaps you could make the store lighting
more predictable by adding some flourescents that dim when daylight is
available, making a more constant illumination.

Nick