[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Solar radiation data search

	The National Renewable Energy Laboratory(NREL) is sponsoring a
search to locate as many good quality, broadband solar radiation
monitoring sites as possible in the US  The data will be used for many
purposes including validation for a computer model that NREL is
developing that can make a complete 40 km grid of solar irradiance data
throughout the entire US, Mexico, and the Caribbean given existing cloud
cover measurements.

	NREL is also going to catalog all sources of solar radiation data
regardless of quality.  This catalog will also include data not included
in the data grid validation project.

	NREL also plans on making the information, both modeled and
measured, available to the public.  If a source is against giving its
data out through this method, it can be arranged for the data to be
limited to only the computer model validation.  The information will be
available on the Internet when it has been collected and catalogued.

	I am trying to locate as many sites as possible in the states of
Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, North and South Dakota, Nebraska,
Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Alaska, and Nevada.  I am just trying to
discover potential sources for the solar data.  NREL will assess the data
to see if it fits their needs.

	The information we are seeking most actively is from sites that
measure two or three broadband solar irradiance components.  (i.e. total
global horizontal, direct normal, and/or diffuse horizontal.)  Also we
have several questions to ask about the site or sites to help determine
the quality of the data.

	We are trying to find several sites in each state, so if you know
of anyone who is monitoring solar radiation for any purpose let us know.

	You can contact me at cdoig@freek.uoregon.edu or phone (503)347-4745.
		Snail mail at
		Chris Doig
		Solar Monitoring