[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Polycarbonate roof

Joe Dlhopolsky  <joed147@i-2000.com> wrote:
>nick@vu-vlsi.ee.vill.edu (Nick Pine) wrote:

>>I got my 32' x 20' steep south attic roof replaced this summer with clear
>>polycarbonate plastic. So now the south side of the attic is transparent,
>>a 600 ft^2 solar air heater,

>How do you keep from cooking in the summer?

There's 8" of cellulose insulation under the wide pine floorboards, and
4 open windows in the stone walls, and 2 1' vents near the ridge, 14'
above the floor. The vents have some hinged and weatherstripped doors
underneath that are open now, but they will be closed in the winter.

Still, it gets very hot up there on a sunny day, and quite warm on a
cloudy day. At the moment, I just use the attic for storage, altho
sometimes I sleep up there in a hammock strung from the collar beams,
and look out at the stars, after the sun goes down...

Nick