[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Controlling the solar scourge

Nick Pine <nick@vu-vlsi.ee.vill.edu> wrote:

.I like the Air 303. $550 for 375 watts, from Jade Mountain at (800) 442-1972.
.Now all we need is a cheap, reliable synchronous inverter to feed this tiny
.power back to the grid. I'm an electrical engineer. I keep telling people
.that a synchronous inverter at this power level should not cost much more
.than a lamp dimmer. A simple triac bridge, a backwards lamp dimmer, with a
.small microprocessor to determine the optimum load for the windmill, $10
.worth of parts. Someday, someone will design one of these. This is not a
.very difficult job for the right kind of electrical engineer. Perhaps there
.is a German product like this already.

An email friend from the Netherlands replies:

.I know that Siemens designed a PV-module with an integrated inverter that
.you can just plug in the socket. Also at the Renewable Energy business unit
.of the Dutch National Energy Research Center ECN a 100 W inverter has been
.developed for small scale grid connected applications. So, these things do
.exist! If you are really interested, just try to get in contact with these
.guys.

Voila. Now will someone please design a nice 110V version?

Nick