[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solar air heaters

Dennis Shinn <JEEPER@HALCYON.COM> wrote:

>>>Caulking is used in interior applications.
>
>>As in interior boat hulls? :-)
>
>I think the discussion was dealing with building techonolgy.

Strewth.

>The difference was drummed into my head almost thirty years ago. One
>of the few things I can still remember from that far back. (grin)

My architect also makes this distinction, and he is also old, like us,
but he does not know or care that the U-value of an air film near a
rough surface increases with airflow as U = 2 + v/2, where v is in mph.

Isn't it odd how languages shift, especially in the hands of priests?
I was having a nice conversation about stochastic quadratic assignment
problems with a Princeton transportation prof years ago, but as soon as
I failed to recognize the verb "deadhead," as applied to bus scheduling,
he knew that I belonged to another priesthood, so he suddenly tuned out
and suggested that I go see what I could find in the library.

My dictionary doesn't have caulk or sealant as nouns, but as verbs:

   caulk: 1. to stop up and make watertight the seams of by filling
   with a waterproofing compound or material. 2. to stop up and make
   tight against leakage.

   seal: 1a. to confirm or make secure by or as if by a seal b: to
   solemnize for eternity (as a marriage or an adoption of a child) by
   a Mormon rite. 2a: to set or affix an authenticating seal to; also:
   authenticate, ratify b: to mark with a stamp usu. as an evidence of
   standard exactness, legal size, weight, or capacity, or merchantable
   quality 3a: to fasten with or as if with a seal to prevent tampering
   b: to secure with a closure against access or leakage c: to make fast
   with cement or plaster 4. to determine irrevocably or indisputably
   <this answer ---ed our fate>

Nick