[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SOL Cooker 1 of 3

-=> Note:
Forwarded (from: homepowr) by Scott Parks using timEd.
Originally from Don Kulha (1:125/7.0) to All.
Original dated: May 05 '94, 10:09

El Sol Simpatico
Laurie Stone
c. 1993 Laurie Stone
Working in El Salvador opened my eyes up to a whole new world
of renewable energy applications. Not only did we install solar
lighting systems and teach workshops on solar ovens. We
actually saw the results of our work, and the changes that
solar technology made in people's lives.
Julia Whelan, Ben Scott Luna and I went to El Salvador to
transfer some of our solar energy knowledge. With the help of
STI, solar companies who donated equipment, and friends who
donated money, we headed south.
Photovoltaics
We installed the first lighting system in El Sitio, a rural
community in Cuscatlan, north of San Salvador. This 250
member community had fled the country due to the 12 year
civil war and have recently returned to rebuild their
community. Needless to say, they had no electricity, and
desperately wanted lights. Three young men from the
community became our apprentices, and quickly learned the
principles of solar energy and how to install the system.
The solar system was simple, consisting of one Siemens M53
photovoltaic module, one SCI charge controller, one lead-acid
(unfortunately shallow cycle) battery, and two 20 Watt DC
fluorescent lights. There are no deep cycle batteries made in El
Salvador, and we decided it would be better to stay with local
batteries that they can easily replace, than to import a deep
cycle battery from the United States.
We spent a week visiting numerous hardware stores in San
Salvador and made several phone calls for technical advice to
STI. Then, after one full day of work, the system was installed.
We put it on the building which acts as the health clinic, the
school, and the community center of El Sitio. After the
installation we gave a talk about system maintenance to the
three responsables of the system. We also gave them a solar
still to provide distilled water for the battery. Obtaining
distilled water in the Salvadoran countryside is quite
difficult.
Lights for Literacy
People were amazed when the lights actually turned on. I,
however, was more amazed with what people did with the
lights. The very next night adult literacy classes began. The
illiteracy rate in El Sitio had been 95%. Many adults had
wanted to learn to read for years, but working all day and not
having lights at night made it nearly impossible. Now people
from neighboring communities all around were travelling to El
Sitio to study at night. It was amazing to see, and made us feel
good to think that we had made a difference in people's lives.
However, I realized that what I was doing was not that
incredible. Anybody who knows how to install a simple PV
system could have done what we did. The incredible thing was
what the people were doing with the electricity. Although Ben,
Julia and I brought the technical knowledge, the people of El
Sitio brought the ambition and determination.

___ Squish v1.01
 - Origin: Sonoma Online, HOMEPOWR Echo (707)545-0746-HST\V32b (1:125/7)