Big day list

Here's my "big" day list for those of you that wanted to see it.
Date: 7/31/99. Start: 0600 EDT in Chapel Hill NC.  Had about 70 species in
the morning.  Drove to Fort Fisher about 1200-1430, picking up just C.
Grackle along the way.  End: 1930 EDT in Sunset Beach NC

Places visited:
Chapel Hill suburbs (dawn chorus at home - Wood Thrush, H. Wren)
Dairyland Road, Orange Co. (Grasshopper Sparrows, Meadowlark, silent
Prairie Warbler, Canada Goose)
Cane Creek Reservoir, Orange Co. (Cliff Swallows)
Mason Farm (Y-b Cuckoo, Y-b Chat)
Little Creek impoundment (Kingfisher, Red-hd Woodpecker, Phoebe)
Home Depot in Durham (House Sparrow, but no luck with Song Sp.)
Old Hope Valley Farm Rd. (Pine Warbler, B-h Nuthatch, Bobwhite)
Farrington Road bridge (no Common Merg or shorebirds because of fishermen)
Poplar Point settling ponds (only Mallards of the day)
Seaforth Road (struck out on B-h Vireo, but got Hairy Woodpecker)
NC state dairy ponds on Lake Wheeler Road (Semi Sandpiper, Cowbird)
Carolina Beach sewage plant (good for waders, but few shorebirds)
Fort Fisher Aquarium (Gull-billed Tern)
Federal Point/Ferry Terminal (Am Oystercatcher)
Twin Lakes, Brunswick Co. (Wood Stork, Alligator, but no Moorhen!)
Sunset Beach (Reddish Egret, shorebirds, non-Laughing gulls)

Everyplace I visited was much quieter than normal -- the birds were
behaving more sensibly than I and taking the day off!

c indicates species added at or near the coast; the other were first seen
near Chapel Hill

Brown Pelican - c
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret - c
Little Blue Heron - c
Tricolored Heron - c
Reddish Egret - c - 1 imm dark morph at Sunset Beach
Cattle Egret - c
Green Heron
White Ibis - c
Wood Stork - c - 2 near Twin Lakes
Turkey Vulture
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Osprey - c
Bald Eagle - Jordan Lake
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel - 1 at Cane Creek Res.
Northern Bobwhite
Clapper Rail - c
Black-bellied Plover - c
Wilson's Plover - c - 10 at Sunset Beach
Semipalmated Plover - c
Killdeer
American Oystercatcher - c - near Fort Fisher Ferry dock
Greater Yellowlegs - c
Solitary Sandpiper - c
Spotted Sandpiper
Whimbrel - c
Sanderling - c
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper - c
Least Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher - c - ID by voice
Laughing Gull - c
Ring-billed Gull - c
Herring Gull - c
Great Black-backed Gull - c
Gull-billed Tern - c - hunting near Hermit Bunker at Ft. Fisher Aquarium
Caspian Tern - c
Royal Tern - c
Sandwich Tern - c
Common Tern - c
Forster's Tern - c
Least Tern - c
Black Tern - c
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Red-headed Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Kingbird
White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow - c
Purple Martin
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Pine Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-breasted Chat
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow - Anilorac Farm, Dairyland Rd. west of Chapel Hill
Northern Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak - lots at Dairyland Rd. and Mason Farm
Indigo Bunting
Painted Bunting  - c - 1 singing at Sunset Beach
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Common Grackle - 1 flock over I-40, Sampson Co. (none in Triangle!)
Boat-tailed Grackle - c
Brown-headed Cowbird - 1 flock at L. Wheeler Rd. dairy ponds
Orchard Oriole - lots at Dairyland Rd. and Mason Farm
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Total: 106 species

Big misses: too many to list!  Two that have been taunting me in the yard
every day since are Flicker and Great Crested Flycatcher.

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                w 919-660-7409
cwcook@duke.edu                 h 919-967-5446