Redstart and waterthrush yard birds

A female or immature American Redstart checked out the fountain on our
deck this afternoon. It fluttered around the deck several times, and even
lit on a bench by the kitchen window.

If redstarts nest in our area, we only see them during migration. We live
in the edge of an extensive band of mature hardwoods.

A waterthrush was also attracted to the fountain last Wed. morning as we
were eating breakfast on the deck. It made several passes over the
fountain. It sat on a nearby branch briefly, bobbing its tail, and burst
into a portion of its song. Both the light and my knowledge of its song
were insufficient to identify which waterthrush.

By the way, two hummers successfully fledged from the ruby-throat's nest
we reported back in June. The male will probably leave this week,
according to our past experience.

Buren and Luanne Blankenship
Pendleton, SC (between Clemson and Anderson)
blblank@carol.net