Re: bald-headed cardinals

John, I had the same question a while ago and got
several answers, most of them being mites. But I have
never seen such extensive baldness EVER before. Does
it have something to do with drought, heat??
Or have there never been Mites here before? And I have
seen many molting cardinals in my day, but never this
baldness. And why just cardinals? Bird scientist,
ornithologist, vets, etc, please answer for all of us.
Kate

--- "Daughtry, John Person" <DAUGHTRYJO@MAIL.ECU.EDU>
wrote:
> 	At Emerald Isle in June I saw a cardinal which was
> black on the
> total head and face, apparently due to missing
> feathers.  (Its head had a
> distinctly shrunken appearance.)  Now I am seeing a
> cardinal at my feeder
> that has much more extensive black than is normal,
> although it is not
> totally "bald-headed".  It seems to be dominated by
> a house finch at the
> feeder, unlike other cardinals.  Does anyone have an
> idea what is wrong with
> these cardinals?
> John Daughtry
> Greenville, NC