Ah, Spring!

. . . And with that, the passions are fueled.  My husband and I watched with
amazement as a pair of European Starlings clinched in embrace plummeted from
high in the air locked together seemingly unaware that they were crashing
into shrubbery, wings flapping wildly and chattering the whole time.  We
couldn't believe the length of time this whole ritual lasted.  They finally
hit the ground still glued together and flapped around noisily until one of
them flew off.  The other took off in hot pursuit until he caught up and
AGAIN they began their intense coupling.

    We were on our deck staring like the voyeurs we've become.  But it was
our first experience in our own backyard with our resident birds.  I think we
may have even blushed a bit.

    Wendy Ross Kaplan
    Charlotte, NC
    Wenbirdy@aol.com