Ducks and Geese

Cbirders:

    This afternoon I got a chance to walk around a farm in southern
Cumberland County.  I was impressed by the numbers of ducks and geese and
number of species.

    I saw hundreds of ring-necked ducks and wigeon, dozens of ruddies,
mallards and Canadas, plus bue-winged teal, green-winged teal, northern
shoveler, gadwall, bufflehead, hooded merganser and some flybys that I think
were lesser scaup.

    The best bird of the day was SNOW GOOSE.  Actually, I saw two. It is
funny to me that I capitalized that species because last week in Texas and
Oklahoma I saw several flocks of thousands.  What is neat about the two birds
today is snow goose is a new county bird for me.  Whoo-hoo.

    Also saw several great blues, great egrets, turkey vultures, d-c
cormorants, ring-billed gulls, a red-shouldered hawk, a Cooper's hawk, a
red-tailed hawk and a distant soaring bird that looked almost as much like a
bald eagle as it looked like a speck.  Plus many more.

Well, back to the books.

Hal Broadfoot
Buies Creek, NC