New Hope Creek Impoundment

I birded New Hope Creek Impoundment on Highway 54 in Durham early this
morning, looking for Rob's blue teals.  No luck on the teals, but I did
see my first ever Savannah Sparrow, a river otter enjoying his
breakfast, a pair of courting wood ducks, hooded mergansers, a pied
billed grebe, MANY red-headed woodpeckers (fighting of starlings for
nest cavities) and numerous other species.  It was one of my best trips
there.

Little Creek Impoundment, just down the road, is now host to 5 or 6 tree
swallows, up from the one that was there last Sunday.

Amalie Tuffin
Durham, NC