L. Crabtree -3/18

Hi folks,

Just to let you know, I was at L. Crabtree (Wake Co.) this morning looking
for the reported grebes of the past week. Did not find them, but with Bob
Perkins, Kent Fiala and Harry LeGrand, found 8 Common Mergansers (female
plumage). That was a pretty good trade-off I think! Also looked at the scaup
(18) at nearby Brier Creek Res. and they sure looked like Greaters. Big
bright blue bill, rounded head with definite green gloss, bright white sides
and pale backs, never saw the wing stripes though. If we had to call them, we
would say Greater. This spot has traditionally been a good location for them
anyway. Harry also found a Great Egret at the causeway of Crabtree. Ospreys
and swallows are definitely coming in for the spring now too. A nice, but
cold and wintry morning.
 Later,
           Ricky

Ricky Davis