Peregrines at Devil's Courthouse

What is probably the same pair of Peregrine Falcons that raised young at
Devil's Courthouse last year is back. I think they are still looking at
other cliffs but there is a very good chance of a repeat performance. Both
birds are fully mature and the female is spending a lot of time at the old
eyrie. She does not have any eggs there yet (she goes away for long
periods). At one time today she appeared to be turning inside the eyrie as
she would when prepairing the scrape.
Devil's Courthouse is near mile 422 on The Blue Ridge Parkway and the cliff
can be viewed from the parking lot. Binoculars are all that is needed to see
the falcons when they're moving or facing out. It they are facing away they
are hard to find on the cliff and in any event a 'scope makes things easier.
I spent 3+ hours sitting in the sun on a south slope taking notes on the
Peregrines and feeding part of my lunch to a pair of Juncos. Also had
Chickidees, Red-breasted Nuthatch, and Ruffed Grouse. My sincere thanks to
all of you who are still working and paying FICA. Your turn will come!
                                             Reece
Reece 'n Judy Mitchell
Flat Rock, NC
rmitche2@tds.net