Eleventh Hour Help (fwd); Durham Rufous; March 17 Sandhills

Howdy folks,

Pasted at the end of this message, a desperate plea from Texas for a
seasonal field biologist. If anyone out there knows a birder, or a
college graduate with experience with birds, who needs employment for the
spring and summer, The Nature Conservancy's Texas chapter wants to hear
from them!

Our visiting Rufous Hummingbird in Durham is still visiting as of Friday;
no Ruby-throats noted there as yet...

I went on Randy Emmitt's trip to the Sandhills on Saturday. Birds were
few and far between, but one notable avian highlight: Bachman's Sparrow,
singing within earshot of our lunch stop. Lep highlights have already
been posted on CarolinaLeps by Harry Legrand, non-subscribers to that
list can check http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/CARL.html
Only one herp, an Eastern Fence Lizard with very nice blue coloration
under his chest (okay, there were some basking turtles in the pond too).
And the first dragonflies of the season, their identities already posted
to the Southeast Regional Odonate Listserv by yours truly. Best parts of
the trip were probably the wildflowers, which included Trailing Arbutus,
Pixie Moss, Golden Club, and a bizarre little creature which I'm told was
Carolina Epicac, a member of the genus Euphorbia. Got some nice slides
back of all but the club this afternoon, might add them to my website
soon if I get the chance.

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University
Department of Biology (Zoology, R.I.P.)