Hawk watch season? And watch your gum!

Hi Carolinabirders,

The Broadwings and Swainson's may still be traversing Mexico (I've seen
multiple Swainson's reports on the Florida listserv, too), but hawks
appear to be migrating. I forgot to mention this during my review of
Randy Emmitt's sandhills trip from Saturday, but while we were in the
parking lot in Southern Pines waiting for the trip to start, Harry
LeGrand noted an Osprey passing overhead. A little later, another Osprey
followed. A while after that, two accipiters - one definitely a Cooper's
Hawk, the other probably the same species - both passed overhead within a
few minutes' time. Backing up the impression that this was migratory
movement, a message on the Maryland listserv (MDOsprey) mentions a
significant movement that same day, March 17: 9 Golden Eagles (all adult)
and 2 Bald Eagles as well as 2 Harriers, 4 Sharpies, 1 Red-shouldered and
6 Red-tails, all between 10 AM and 1:30 PM, by Jim Paulus in Allegany
County. Folks near the mountains and coast, take note...

Gum-chewers, take note of the message from Jim Flynn pasted below, via
the Georgia birding listserv:

"In March 1996, I was walking between stores in a strip plaza in Roswell
and at one point noticed the tail of Cedar Waxwing sticking out from
underneath some decorative plantings.  Being the inquisitive person that
I am, I pulled the expired bird out from underneath the bush and found
that it was attached at the bill to another expired Cedar Waxwing...by a
small wad of gum (Juicy Fruit, oddly enough).

I suppose that one of the waxwings was attracted to the berry-like shape
of the used gum, and knowing their habit of passing berries from bird to
bird, this pair ended up with more than they bargained for."

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University