Mute Swan in Richland Co., SC-24 March, 2001

    I saw an immature Mute Swan foraging with 20 Canada Geese at the edge of
a pond about 50 meters from Arnold Rd., near Hopkins, SC.  Arnold Rd. is on
your left (if you are traveling from Columbia to Sumter) approximately a
quarter mile before you get to McEntire Air National Guard Base.  The air
base is on US 378.  At the head of Arnold Rd. is a sign for Congaree Farms,
so when you see this sign upon approaching the air base, turn left.  The
pond at which the swan was seen is on the right, and I believe is the first
pond you will see along Arnold Rd.  If you get to the caretaker's residence,
also on the right, you have gone too far.
    This is the same location I reported a fly-over Tundra Swan last
Saturday, 17 March.  I can no longer stand 100% behind the Tundra Swan
sighting.  Though it is possible a Tundra and a Mute Swan were seen by me on
successive weekends, I am inclined to believe I misidentified the fly-over
swan seen last weekend.  I have never fretted over identifying a swan in
flight, as Tundra Swan would be the right I.D. an overwhelming majority of
the times in the Carolinas, but it appears I was too hasty in my judgement
17 March.  I am sorry for any confusion my error may have caused, but I have
learned my lesson.  It will just take a while for me to get the bitter taste
of crow out of my mouth.
    Back to the Mute Swan.  I think the origin of this swan is most likely
feral, not a bird part from a truly wild population.  But one never knows.
If this is the same swan I saw last weekend it is obviously free-flying.  I
have cruised up and down Arnold Rd. on a number of occasions, both in winter
and spring/summer, and have seen quite a few Canada Geese but never any
swans.  Bottom line is there is a Mute Swan on Arnold Road.  Origin unknown,
but still a beautiful bird.

Mike Turner
Columbia SC