Pee Dee NWR

We spent an unplanned few hours at Pee Dee NWR yesterday - we had
originally intended to spend the day at Weymouth Woods Nature Preserve
in Southern Pines looking for Red-cockaded Woodpeckers.  The woodpeckers
were very cooperative, and we got good looks at a couple of them for
about 10 minutes shortly after arriving.  Otherwise, the preserve seemed
very quiet so we decided to head off to the Pee Dee NWR, another new
spot for us.

The NWR was pretty quiet as well; not many birds at all.  We did catch a
few migrants, however, namely two Blue-Headed Vireos, a Yellow-throated
Vireo, and a couple of Black-and-white Warblers.  We enjoyed our trip
tremendously - the refuge is very pleasant and spring was definitely in
the air.

Amalie Tuffin
Durham, NC