bird song Cd's and CD ROM's: reviews!

Hi Folks,

following my request for advice on birding CD's and CD-ROM's I
received a number of recommendations and some emails asking me to
pass on the collective wisdom of the group. So here it is! I have
listed the title of the CD with authors etc as fully as I can from
the info I received. I have then given the number of emails I
received recommending it in parenthesis and finally a few
quotes/notes for each one.

>>STOKES FIELD GUIDE TO BIRD SONGS (2):

"three cd pack, and comes with a 64 page booklet that has a detailed
description of the songs. It is $29.98"

"good CD which is pretty comprehensive"

>>Thayer Birding Software "Birds of N.A." (3):

"nice selection of pictures, songs for each bird, and allows you to
quiz yourself based on families, states, predefined lists, or any
criteria you select.  It also allows to you to set up screen savers,
with sound for birds that you specify."

"you can show comparisons right on the screen"

>>Peterson's Birding by Ear and More Birding by Ear (3):

"hints to "hang the song" to"

"a tutorial of various bird songs. It is very good and is in two volumes."

>>National Geographic (1):

"covers all the US while most of the others are split between East/West"

Thanks to everyone who replied with recommendations and I hope this
will be of use to others out there looking to buy these products.

Steve Perry

Receptor Biology Lab, Duke Uni Med Center, Durham, NC

stevep@receptor-biol.duke.edu