Gulls as Predators

Some time ago there were a number of postings to the listserv on the subject
of gulls as predators.  As I recall these all involved gulls attacking
waterfowl in the water, and in one case, an owl sitting on an ice floe.
Yesterday I observed a lone Ring-billed Gull pursuing a Kingfisher, which was
frantically trying to evade it.  Fortunately, it was able to reach the safety
of a tree and the gull veered off.  Has anyone else observed gulls pursuing
landbirds on the wing?  Does anyone have any idea of how a gull would be able
to successfully capture a landbird in flight, since it lacks the talons of a
bird of prey?

Dianne Witzell
High Point, NC
mdwitzell@aol.com