birding at 40 Acre Rock and Carolina Sandhills NWR

On Saturday, 31 March 2001 members of the Columbia Audubon Society enjoyed a
fine spring morning at Flat Creek - Forty Acre Rock Heritage Preserve in
Lancaster County, SC.  Primarily a wild flower trip, we were too late for
most of the spring ephmerals, but the rare flat rock endemic plants
(including the pool sprite) were in good form.  After a great morning at the
Heritage Preserve some of us spent the afternoon visiting nearby Carolina
Sandhills NWR on our way back to Columbia.

The most unusual bird species of the day was a flyover Common Loon, hear
calling from the top of the rock, not your usual granite flatrock bird
species!

Here is our day list:

Common Loon -- 1
Great Blue Heron -- 1