Black-throated Green Warbler near Columbia, SC

Hi gang,

Today I did my regular GCBO Migration Monitoring census at lunchtime at
Gardendale Access, on the lower Saluda River near Irmo, Lexington County,
SC.  There were lots of birds moving, despite a light rain falling. The best
species seen was a singing male Black-throated Green Warbler, a pretty good
bird anytime in the South Carolina Midlands.

Things are beginning to look good for a good spring migration this year.
Please note that the Columbia Audubon Society, in conjunction with the
Carolina Bird Club, will be sponsoring the second annual Irmo Spring Bird
Count, which will cover the entire lower Saluda River, from the Lake Murray
Dam as far downstream as Granby Park.  These are the best spring migrant
areas in the Columbia, SC neighborhood.

The count will be on Sunday, 29 April 2001.  Contact me to be assigned to a
party, or just show up at the gate to Saluda Shoals Park (entrance fee
required) at 7:00 AM.  We are hoping for 120 species, including 28 species
of warbler.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com