Eno River SP

Hi all,

A quick trip to the Fews Ford section of Eno River SP brought me 3
migrants yesterday evening: my first N. parula (don't get many in the
UK from where I hail!), a male in gorgeous plumage that gave me
lengthy close looks at all his best features; an E. phoebe, and as I
drove home, a swallow sp, probably a barn as they nest under the
bridge at Cole Mill/Pump Station which was close by. I read somewhere
that before the discovery of bird migration, early British
naturalists believed swallows hibernated at the bottoms of ponds!
Anyone know the source of this lore?

Steve Perry

Receptor Biology Lab, Duke Uni Med Center, Durham, NC

stevep@receptor-biol.duke.edu