Santee Coastal Reserve 4-13-01

Did not have to work yesterday, so went birding instead. I saw 61 species
from 8:30 to 4:30. I mainly went to look for Shore Birds so did not spend
much time in the woods. I walked the trail through the marshes to the end
and back. There were many Shore Birds, but little variety. Best birds seen
over all for me were Least Bittern  (2) and Marsh Wrens (several). A list of
sightings follows.

Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
Anhinga
Least Bittern
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Tricolored Heron
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-heron
Glossy Ibis
Wood Stork
Canada Goose
Green-winged Teal
Mottled Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Bald Eagle ( 3 diff. plumages)
Northern Harrier
Common Moorhen
American Coot
Black-necked Stilt
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Short-billed Dowitcher (some coming into alternate plumage)
Laughing Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Caspian Tern
Royal Tern