Woodcocks and Anhingas

Today a coworker who walks the company Rottwiellers said he flushed some
quail or grouse only these birds had long beaks.  I walked to where he
flushed the first 3 and found Woodcocks.  Two flew one way and the other went
into a nest defensive move to move me further away from the nest.  Looking as
hard as I could but he was just too well camouflaged. He flushed a total of 7
Woodcocks. We think they could have been pushed out of their natural area due
to construction starting behind our company.
I had reports from another non birding friend who said she has crows that
don't look like crows.  They are black like crows but their heads are shaped
differently and is colored brown.  They sit with their wings stretched out.
Anhingas I asked?  What are they she asked?  Driving up 501 last Sunday I
think I saw an Anhinga just past Orange Factory Road. She says they hang out
on Orange Factory Road near the lake there.  I was driving at 60 miles per
hour so what I saw was a blur.  Is there anyone in Northern Durham who can
check this out?