Friday PM: No Protho at Butner

Hi Carolinabirders,

Friday evening, Jason Sircely, Frank Rheindt, and I spent the last two
hours of daylight (6:30-8:30 PM) making a quick trip to the Butner
Gamelands. The objective was to find Frank his first Prothonotary
Warbler. Alas, no luck; we heard what sounded like a strange little
variant of the Prothonotary song, but no definite songs, and no
sightings. Highlight was a pair of Wild Turkeys running down the swamp
loop trail ahead of us; we also saw a Hairy Woodpecker and a couple of
Red-headeds and many Wood Ducks, and heard some fueding Barred Owls. Also
saw a Muskrat and several bats, including the biggest bat I've ever seen
in the US! Hoary maybe, or Big Brown?

The three of us and several other folks spent yesterday in the Sandhills
with an NHAS trip led by Steve Hall and Patrick Coin. Great trip! But
since Patrick did all the dirty work of organizing the trip, I won't
steal his thunder and tell what we saw...

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University