Hanging Rock: feather ID please!

Hi folks,

Just got back from Hanging Rock where there were many good sightings
of black throated green, pine and black and white warblers. Also got
great looks at a pair of phoebes, a spotted sandpiper on the bathing
beach, a red-tailed hawk scouring the cliffs, and ravens. But the
thing I want to ask you about is a rather fine feather I found
between rocks at the very top of Cook's Wall. My knowledge of feather
anatomy is nonexistent, so excuse any misused terms: by shaft I mean
the central "vein" from which sprout the "bristles" (the fine
interlocking bits that we all associate with the feathery part). Here
goes...

It is 10.6cm long from the base of the shaft to the very tip of the
feather. At its widest point (2.1cm back from the tip) it is 1.8cm.
It looks to me like either a wing primary or secondary or a tail
feather. The "bristles" start 1.5cm from the base of the shaft. It is
shaped gradually increasing from 1cm in width to its widest point,
then rapidly narrows to a forked point of courser short bristles.
Coloration is striking: it is generally very dark gray/black on the
upper surface, but on the lower section of bristles it starts out
lighter gray/brown and fades to gray/black. There is a hint of olive
or yellow to the gray. The shaft is bright yellow from the base to
7.0cm, then it is gray/black. On the underside, the shaft is yellow
for 8.4cm then goes to gray/black. The bristles are yellow, dulled
slightly with gray, from the base to within 7.4 cm of the end, where
they immediately change to gray/black. It is really quite a
distinctive feather and I have browsed through Sibley's flight
pictures for the nearest fits. I came up with a female Am redstart
central tail feather or secondary wing feather, or maybe a Scott's
oriole  central tail feather (based on geography I realize this is
exceedingly unlikely). The problem with the Am Redstart is the size:
to me, this feather at 10.6cm seems awfully long for a  5.5" (14cm)
bird. If anyone has a good feeling about what this might be I could
arrange to email a scan of the feather to you for further ID.

regards

Steve Perry

Receptor Biology Lab, Duke Uni Med Center, Durham, NC

stevep@receptor-biol.duke.edu