Duke vicinity

Hi Carolinabirders,

Strolled in again this morning. Heard a Solitary Vireo in an unlikely-
looking spot near the intersection of Oregon and Erwin roads in Durham,
then a Red-eyed in a more likely one down Oregon. THen watched a cluster
of courting Cowbirds across the street from the bus stop....

But I later found out that bus service had been altered because classes
at Duke were over, so I walked the rest of the way in. Detoured through
the Duke Gardens, specifically the Blomquist Native Plant Area. Heard a
Black-throated Blue Warbler and several Parulas. Also saw an Eastern
Chipmunk; first time I'd seen one in at least 2-3 years! As I recall,
Durham's right on the edge of their range...

Surprised not to see hummingbirds, as there were hundreds of Columbines
in bloom, along with lots of Crossvine and a couple of native Coral
Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens), not to be confused with its nasty
Japanese relative. Very few pollinators in general relative to flower
abundance: one bumblebee, 2-3 wasps, a probable Pearl Crescent, a large
yellow butterfly (Clouded Sulfur?), and a Silver-spotted Skipper. Great
native flowers: trilliums, pitcher plants, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, and others
that ordinarily I'd have to drive a ways to see. Anyone who's considering
new plants for their yard, Blomquist is a great place to visit and see
how good native plants can look!

Then heard an American Redstart singing in the woods near the Bryan
Center, my first definite of the year.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose