McClosky Road, Fayetteville, 4/30/01

     This morning my wife had to leave early for work, so we got up at
3:30 a.m.  I dressed for the office as usual and then headed for
McClosky Road and the Nature Conservancy tract a few minutes after 5.
I heard some birds that I don't usually hear, including
whip-poor-wills, chuck-wills-widows, and a barred owl.  I headed back
home about 7:15 to get another cup of coffee before I went in to
work, but I stopped one place where I heard small birds.  A very
large bird way up in a pine screamed its displeasure at my arrival
and sailed away--no chance for morre than a glimpse.  So I simply
thought about that scream and where I'd heard it before.  Later in
the day I remembered, so I pulled out my bird calls cd and checked:
red-tailed hawk.
     My list for McClosky Road is growing slowly.  Some of the area
that I can see from the road is open pine woods with grass under the
trees.  In other areas there are hardwood thickets that are very
dense.  Near Ramsey Street there is an area of succession pine that
is very dense.  I've only found two drains so far, one near the
barrier at the west end and the other close to Ramsey Street outside
the boundary of the Conservancy land.  Elsewhere the road is on high
ground. The woods appear to be quite dry, but there may be wet spots
in some of the thickets.  There is low ground north of McClosky Road,
but the tract is posted, so I can't explore.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu