new boardwalk in Little River, SC

Hi C-Birders,

My wife Caroline just pointed out to me a story in today's State (i.e.
Columbia, SC) newspaper, saying that the Vereen Memorial Historical Gardens
in Little River, Horry County, SC has just opened a 1,600 foot boardwalk
over a salt marsh at the park. This should greatly improve the birding
opportunities at this nice, fairly large but unexplored by many birders,
park.

I am sure that Jack Peachey, Gary Phillips, and other local birders will
check this out and give us a report soon.

The Vereen Park is in the town of Little River, literally right on the North
Carolina -- South Carolina line. The park entrance is right opposite the
South Carolina Welcome Center on US 17, just where SC 179, the back road to
Calabash, NC, joins US 17.

I have never found much there, but the park has nice woods and salt marsh.
With the new boardwalk the possibilities are much amplified.  Good luck!

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com