Birds and weather change

look for it soon, because there is no weather change imminent for a few
days! That is, birds are more likely to head north on a warm evening
with southerly winds, or at least for a crane (as it migrates during the
day), warm weather with southerly winds like we are having now would
make it MORE likely to depart than if we had bad weather, which would
keep it and other migrants from departing.If I were a migrant crane,
wanting to head north to Michigan or Canada to breed, I'd have left this
morning on those southerly tail winds. If the bird keeps hanging around,
with all these warm days and southerly winds, and showing little fear of
people, etc., I would suspect it might be one of those cranes that are
being re-established in parts of the eastern US (that are guided north
and south by biologists in planes, etc.). We shall see!
--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program