Raleigh & Johnston Co. highlights

My computer has been down for a while and I haven't been able to report any
birds, but here are some highlights.

An excellent spot near where I live in Johnston Co., NC, is Smith Road where
it crosses Middle Creek.  There's a large flooded forest area on one side of
the road and thick brush on the other.  To get there, take I-40 to exit 319
(NC 210) and go east on 210.  Drive about 4 or 5 miles; Smith Rd. will be on
the left after you've passed Lassiter and Lakewood Rds. on the right.  It's a
great spot for Prothonotaries, chats, Wood Ducks, etc.  The land is all
marked no tresspassing, but you can park along the road and walk up and down
it.  You can hear everything from the road and, with patience, see most of
it.  On Apr. 22, I saw a Nashville Warbler there, my first NC sighting ever.
       A nearby site is Monroe Rd.  Continue north on Smith Rd. till it ends
at Polenta Rd., turn left, and take the first right onto Monroe Rd.  It's
dependable for Prairie Warblers and Field Sparrows.
       The whole vicinity is good for Loggerhead Shrikes.  They can be found
on many of the local back roads.  I've seen as many as four in one day this
year.

       On May 2, I checked Cedar Hills Rotary Park in north Raleigh.  Cedar
Hills always seems to be magical for migrating warblers, and the magic worked
again.  I saw my first Bay-breasted Warbler since 1996 (that sighting was
also at Cedar Hills).  I also had four Black-throated Blues, a Parula, a pair
of Red-headed Woodpeckers, and a male Scarlet Tanager.

       On May 4, I checked Richardson Bridge Rd. in southern Johnston Co.
where it crosses the Neuse River.  I heard three Swainson's Warblers, but
didn't see any of 'em.  My attempts to whistle one individual's "Neil, Neil,
keh-hutch the girl" song didn't fool it.  There were lots of Acadian
Flycatchers around and I also had three Prothonotaries, a redstart, and a
Solitary Sandpiper, as well as two Tree Sparrows (i ad. & 1 imm.) down the
road in a farmed area.

Erik Thomas
Johnston Co., NC
barbarahunter919@aol.com