Umstead Park Great-horned owls

Hello all,

My weekend was hectic, and unfortunately didn't involve much birding.  I did
manage to make it our to Umstead Park (Company Mill Trail) last night for an
evening stroll.  Even though it was 7PM by the time I started I did see or
hear the following species of interest:

Red-eyed Vireo
Northern Parula
Louisiana Waterthrush
Pine Warbler
Ovenbird
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Wood Thrush
Scarlet Tanager
Summer Tanager

In the fading light I heard two Great-horned Owls dueting just ahead of me
above the trail (about 3/4 of a mile from the shelter area near the
trailhead).  To my surprise I saw one of the pair fly from the top of a
pine, and then managed to find the remaining bird, still "hooting" away.  I
had a great look at the bird, despite the dim light, and s/he casually
turned to look down at me while I stood there with my mouth agape.
Fantastic evening!!

Cheers!
Heather

Heather Wallace