Little Blue Herons inland in SC

To continue the thread on the Little Blue Heron, I often find one or two of
this species well up in the SC Piedmont even in spring (e.g. Newberry County
in April).

This seems to be a good year for Little Blue Heron in the SC Coastal Plain.
I have seen a lot of this species this year, even in roadside ditches well
away from the usual hot spots for this species, such as Buckfield Reserve in
Hampton County, SC, near Yemassee.

The Little Blue Heron may even be breeding near the Orangeburg County
industrial park.  Also I have got more than usual numbers at Congaree Swamp
National Monument, Richland County, SC this spring.

For a species that is probably best considered as Threatened in South
Carolina, the Little Blue Heron is apparently doing all right in 2001.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com