Birding comparisons by state

Dear Carolina-birders (or others further afield):

I thought it might be interesting to compile a comparative list of
resident/breeding birds in all the American States and Canadian
provinces, just to get an idea of the bird diversity in this country.

 It would also be interesting to see how many species (residents or
passage migrants) are reported as being seen regularly (as opposed to
casually) in each state and province.

And finally to get the numbers on the total number of species ever
seen in a state (even those species reported once).

The names of the species would be great and would make for a more
interesting comparison, but if not then just the number of species in
each category would suffice.

Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to get this information on
all American and Candian states? It might make for an interesting
comparison, especially in the bleak migrant-less months soon to
descend upon us all.

Shantanu Phukan