Congaree National Swamp

An excellent trip to Congaree National Forest Preserve in South Carolina
yielded the following list. Leaders were Simon Thompson, Larry Ferar, and
JoAnn Martin.

Highlights...

The "BIRD OF THE DAY" was the Swainson's Warbler, which popped up in a cane
thicket, in the clear, singing away, and stayed long enough for everyone to
get a great look.
We also saw many Prothonotary Warblers. We saw these in pairs, another
singing with an insect in his mouth, one splashing about in the water, etc.
Great views of Mississippi Kites, a pair- one flying and landing on the top
of a very tall tree, the other eating something held between its talons.

The following list is the birds I saw or ID'ed by call/song. The group as a
whole had a better list, including a Louisianna waterthrush, heard only.

SPECIES SEEN/Heard   Output from Avisys Bird Listing Software.

>From 5/9/2001 to 5/9/2001 ~ in Congaree Swamp ~ 32 seen
NEW WORLD VULTURES
Black Vulture
HAWKS, EAGLES AND KITES