Hatteras Island Ospreys

Just returned from a week of birding and surf-fishing (not necessarily
in that order) on Hatteras Island. Ironically enough, our most
interesting birding experience came while fishing! A strong N.E. wind
early in the week drove us to an area known as the "Hook", a strip of
beach just south of Cape Point. This area is unique in that the beach
runs east/west rather than north/south. This fact allowed us to fish
with the wind at our back.It also set the stage for one of the most
awsome things I have seen during my birding career. Both Sunday and
Monday, we were treated to the sight of as many as 12 Ospreys hovering
over the breakers just in front of us. This hunting (fishing?) went on
all day long. Many times we saw a bird plunge into the water and emerge
with a fish in it's talons. I think they had considerably more luck than
we did!

Ken