Mississippi Kites Back at Nest Site near Newport, NC

Got a call that 3 Mississippi Kites are back at the site where a pair nested
last year, near Newport, NC, which is, as far as I know, the only site in
the outer Coastal Plain of the North Carolina where the species has been
found nesting.

Unfortunately, the landowner of the tract is VERY paranoid.  This is not a
site where birders should visit.  (Last year, he threatened to shoot the
birds, fearing that they were of the dreaded "endangered" status.)

The person who called me about the birds described one of them as being a
1st-summer bird.  Do young stay with their parents a full year?  Do they
ever act as helpers?

                                          John Fussell
                                          Morehead City, NC
                                          jfuss@clis.com