warbler fallout

As I was walking between buildings on the UNC campus today I heard
little lisps and chip notes up in the large pin and black oaks on the
central quad; and as I stopped dead in my tracks there came the
incredibly high chi-chi-chi of the blackpoll.

It took a few minutes of hanging out and staring straight up at the
oaks to discover that there were many blackpolls working the oaks, and
flying in between them and chasing each other;  mixed in with the
blackpolls were at least two yellow warblers, as well as one redstart.
But it was the abundance of blackpolls that was really so striking--a
minor fallout (and about time too).

By the way, this is my third year on this campus and I have always
found my blackpolls on these same oaks at this exact week of
migration. What a wonderful end to the year (academic year ie.).

Shantanu Phukan
UNC, Chapel Hill