Blue Ridge Parkway Benefit Birding Trip

Approximately twenty-five birders, beginners to experts, enjoyed a bird walk
at several sites on the Blue Ridge Parkway north of Asheville today. Simon
Thompson and Larry Ferar of Ventures, Inc http://www.birdventures.com/ and
Charlotte Goedsche, involved in the Cerulean Warbler Project, were along as
leaders.
The walk was a benefit for the Elisha Mitchell Audubon Society.

The bird of the day was the Cerulean Warbler, of course. If there are those
who are not aware (as I was not until recently) of this birds endangered
existence, please read about it at the Cerulean Warbler Atlas Project.
http://birds.cornell.edu/cewap/
We had several great looks, including through the spotting scope- an unusual
treat for such an active bird.
We also had numerous wildflowers pointed out by Larry Ferar.

I saw or heard the following birds (Avisys software output.
http://avisys.net ).

SPECIES SEEN
>From 5/26/2001 to 5/26/2001 ~ All Places ~ 24 seen
PIGEONS AND DOVES
Mourning Dove
CUCKOOS
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
SWIFTS
Chimney Swift
TYRANT FLYCATCHERS
Eastern Wood-Pewee
WAXWINGS
Cedar Waxwing
MOCKINGBIRDS AND THRASHERS
Gray Catbird
THRUSHES
American Robin
NUTHATCHES
White-breasted Nuthatch
VIREOS AND ALLIES
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
WOOD WARBLERS
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Cerulean Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird
Hooded Warbler
TANAGERS AND ALLIES
Scarlet Tanager
SPARROWS, TOWHEES, JUNCOS
Eastern Towhee
Dark-eyed Junco
SALTATORS, CARDINALS AND ALLIES
Indigo Bunting
FINCHES, SISKINS, CROSSBILLS
American Goldfinch
////---- STATISTICS ----/////
Species seen - 24
In addition, others saw/heard a rose-breasted grosbeak and a yellow-billed
cuckoo.

Russ Palmeri
Asheville, North Carolina
Fog and rain, the sky