Red-throated loon at Oregon Inlet

I spent the weekend in the Nags Head/Pea Island area.  I didn't see much
exciting, but did see a red-throated loon in Oregon Intel, by the
fishing center, on Saturday afternoon.  It may have been injured as it
let me get within 4 or 5 feet of it before it scooted away.

I also got to see the short-eared owls at Alligator River NWR.  I didn't
make it early enough to see them on the nest, but got REAL lucky and got
to watch 4 or 5 of them fly around hunting.  Even saw one catch a mouse
(or something <g>) in my scope!  It was really amazing.

Most places were quite quiet.  The only warbler I saw much of was
prothonotaries, which were hard to miss.

Amalie Tuffin
Durham, NC