Spreading Eurasian Collared Doves - a source?

We have wondered why collared doves would arrive in Hickory before we
started seeing them in Charlotte (supposing they were spreading their range
from south to north).  Now I may have an answer.

Last week while I was in the local pet store, I saw Eurasian Collared doves
in a cage in their bird room.  When I asked if people bought them as pets,
the owner told me that people, especially Hispanics, buy them for RELEASE at
weddings (when they can't get the preferred white doves).
She also told me that at Easter they must have sold over 100 Zebra Finches
to Hispanics who told her they would release the birds as part of a
traditional ceremony!
    She seemed to think that spring-released birds of both species would be
able to establish themselves in the wild before the onset of cold weather.

I suspect we'll be seeing a number of these guys out there.

Louise Barden
Charlotte, NC
O: 704-535-1005
Fax: 704-535-6385